Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day 37 ~ Week ending July 21


This has been a slow week for adventures as Donn was in Shanghai on Monday and Tuesday doing an audit with a perspective buyer.  Also the weather has been very rainy again.  Monday I had a job interview with Dr. Wong at GIST International College.  Apparently there wasn't really an opening, but he liked my CV so he called me in for an interview.  The driver Mr. Chen picked me up one hour and ten minutes before my scheduled interview time.  I arrived 45 minutes early.  Nothing says punctual like arriving that early.  Come to find out they actually had fired one of their teachers because he was never on time.

I ventured to a new grocery store called The Summit.  They were having a sale on yellow cake mix--only 15 RMB--$2.38 (which is a very good price as they normally run 45 RMB--$7.14).  Keep in mind that this is the exact same cake mix we all buy at Albertsons or Smiths for $1.25.  Expats have a good network to let others know when things go on sale.  Thanks McLemores!!

On Saturday we headed to the market that houses lots of custom clothing vendors.   Jace and CeCe went with us.  CeCe's parents know the vendors very well and she helped us get rock-bottom pricing.  Donn wanted to order some custom suits and white shirts.  He is sweating too much on Sundays in his long sleeve "Nordstrom" shirts.  The material is just too heavy.  We decided the best way to get there was by high-speed train.  This train travels over 300 km per hour.  That's at least 180 mph.  By car it takes 2 hours, by train it only took 23 minutes.  We upgraded on the way there and rode in the first class seats.  I also ordered a red cashmere pea coat.  We will pick these items up the next time were are in Shanghai.
High-speed Train to/from Suzhou/Shanghai 7-21-12.
While waiting for CeCe's driver to pick us up from the train station, we stopped by Ajisen Ramen to grab a bite to eat.  This was my first time at this restaurant.  It is one of Donn's favorite.  We ordered dumplings and a breaded chicken.  Both were delicious.  We also ate some edamame beans.  They were good--not to mention healthy as well.


Grape, Banana & Apple.
I also found one of my favorite US treats--Hi-Chew.  This was the first time I had ever seen the banana flavor.   My initial thought was that when I came to China I would give up sugar.  That hasn't happened yet as I keep finding all kinds of good treats.  The DQ two blocks away is NOT helping either.  My son, Adam, lost 20 pounds when he lived in Macau for six weeks.  Unbelievable!!!  Maybe if I were doing something besides sitting on the couch blogging and practicing Chinese things would be different.

A couple of my survival Chinese phrases:  Suxui Rd (pronounced Sue show Lou)  This is the road we live on.  Also helpful is tienuh rChi Horizon Resort.  Not sure the Chinese spelling or exactly what it means, but that is how I would say it phonetically and it gets me to the apartment. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh please send us some banana hi chews!! We love those too.

    ReplyDelete