Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 30 ~ Week ending July 14


It is had to believe, but we have been in China for exactly one month.  I'm not sure if it makes sense when I say that time is passing quickly, but at the same time very slowly.


Gu ayi (our awesome housekeeper)
On Monday our ayi (housekeeper) came over.  Her name is Gu.  We played charades for a while as I showed her what I wanted her to do and which rag to use for dusting, cleaning mirrors and cleaning the floor.  We played again when she needed starch for the ironing.  It was fun, but I think I definitely need to learn some housekeeping Chinese.  Also I may have to get her to teach me how to cook Chinese food.  Donn is already tired of Ramen noodles.  We went grocery shopping on Saturday, but really didn’t have a lot of luck finding things to buy.  But I really think the food here is so cheap it is just better to eat out.  

Monday's dinner was with Don and Lee Preston at a Muslim Restaurant.  We had what I would call a taco pizza and some yummy caramel apples. 

I am proud to say that I did finally cook my first real dinner Thursday.  I made very tasty stuffed green peppers.  It was actually fun cooking again.  We also had invited Jace Stoker over as I had promised Denna that I would feed him occasionally.  As you can see by the picture, my kitchen is very small, and I don't have a lot of space. 

We had our first talk in church on Sunday.  The topic was patience.  It was interesting to see how impatient I have become since moving to China.  If you aren’t aggressive the Chinese Nationals will walk right over you--what I really mean is run you down.  I experienced it first hand while waiting to get my produce weighed.  People would just reach around me and put their stuff on the scale.  After having five people in a line of 20 just cut me off, I grabbed by squash and aggressively set it on the scale.  The lady looked at me a little strangely, but then she smiled.  I decided today that they reason they are in such a hurry is because they are surrounded by 6,000,000 people and if they don't push and shovel, they can never get where they need to go.

The Bensons had us over to dinner at their home on Sunday and then another dinner and game night on Tuesday.  Julie is a good cook and it was nice eating “normal” American food.  We took a taxi there which cost us $32 RMB ( ~ $5.00 U.S.).  We rode the bus home which cost us 2 Yuan (~ .33 cents).  I think we will be taking the bus a lot more.  Time wise it was about the same.

On Wednesday Ashley and Jeff McLemore took us to the shopping center called Metro.  I would compare it with a Sam's Club or Costco, but twice the size.

Masseuse #66.  No names, just numbers.
Saturday was a quick green bike trip to Walmart and then 2 hours of badminton.  We were very excited to try out the new racquets.  Again we had a great time, but I am a little stiff and sore from the drill work that Lim made us do.  A quick trip home for a shower and then off to Namaste  Restaurant.  It is located in Restaurant Alley.  It was delicious Indian food.  We ordered a variety of chicken, shrimp and lamb dishes.  Also my first time trying naan bread.  My favorite thing was dhania tomato soup.  It was fantastic and for those of you who don't know me well I don't like tomato soup. Then we headed off for our first foot massage since arriving.  (See Lim in yellow shirt.)  It was a 75 minute neck, back, arm, and foot massage. 


Lim, Donn, and nail trimmer technician.
 This amazing view is right off our balcony.  It was raining so the light reflection is amazing.

Night view off of balcony.  You can see the Frazier Towers.  Their manager's name is Peter Pan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment