Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 51 ~ Week ending August 4


On Sunday night our China telephone rings.  Donn answers it and the caller asks for him by name in Chinese, of course.  Anyway he can't understand what they are saying and tells them he doesn't speak Chinese and hangs up.  We don't think too much about it until the next morning when he gets up to shower and we have NO water in the house.  Apparently it was a phone call telling us that all the water in the entire building is being shut down.  Thanks heavens for the water cooler that also serves hot water.  About an hour later the water comes back on; but it was the most disgusting water I had ever seen.  It was brown like--well you get the gist.  It took almost 36 hours to get clear water running through the taps again.  

On Tuesday I had a second interview with GIST International College.  I am to met with the head honcho ~ Dr. Chong.  (Side note:  My first interview with with Dr. Wong.)  Anyway it was a very difficult interview.  He sat behind the desk mumbling softly with his hand covering his mouth.  I am not sure how many questions I answered correctly because I SERIOUSLY couldn't understand what he was asking as he had a very thick Chinese accent when speaking English.  At the end of the interview, he says, "Well where do we go from here?"  I didn't mean to be flip, but I replied, "I think that depends on you."  

Anyhoo I received a job offer, but I decided to turn it down.  The hours are long (from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.) plus I would have to ride the local bus back and forth everyday.  That in itself would take 45 minutes each way.  If the pay had been decent . . .

In working on getting our Z Visa, we had to have a physical.  Ours was scheduled for 9 a.m. on Friday morning.  It was very interesting.  We went with William.  (He is a summer intern at K2 who is learning to speak English.  He is a junior in high school.)   Anyway we went from room to room having the following things done:  stomach ultrasound, blood pressure, dental check, chest X-ray, height and weight check, heart check, and then blood work.  After we were all finished, they gave us this nice box of medicine samples.  It appears that it is good for any health problems that we may have in China.  There was also a very handy card inside telling us what to use all of the medications for.

Our Parting Gift from the Red Cross





No comments:

Post a Comment